Lies, Damn Lies, and Politics

“Swiftboat veterans for truth”. This ad hoc group is airing political ads, ads amplified a hundredfold by media re-broadcasting. The best information I have right now is that the ads are lies. So let’s say that 90% of the people who see the ad can see it’s a lie. That leaves 10% who believe it, and 10% is enough to swing a close election.

It’s like the criminal activity where the punishment is a small fine, which the criminal just considers “the cost of doing business.” In the case of false political ads, there’s no criminal sanctions–but there should be. I believe in free speech, but I don’t believe in the right to intentionally false free speech that causes damage.

The law allows you you to libel a politician with impunity. I wonder if that’s a mistake.

About Kevin

Just an old guy with opinions that I like to bounce off other people.
This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *